How do we increase movie orders across platforms and channels?
M-GO was having issues with completion of transactions and was looking to improve customer acquisition prior to doing a big marketing push. The product team was in need of information on the user base in order to make design decisions, so we worked up a plan to address both issues, while working on initiatives for customer conversion, gift card redemption, loyalty points and an ever changing array of platform wide promotions.
UX design lead, Interaction design and direction, prototyping, research
The first challenge was the lack of data.
There were inconsistent results on remote unmoderated usability tests, which was a result of this gap in knowledge. There had been no qualitative or ethnographic studies on users, which made decision making difficult. There was also a gap in analytics insight as the platform wasn’t fully functional.
In order for us to address conversion concerns, we had to know who was coming to the site, and what they knew about on demand VOD. Terms like “ultraviolet” —which showed up as potential blockers in usability tests—needed to be better understood, as well as issues with installation of the player, which posed issues, before we could design solutions.We needed audience information, so we started to do some initial testing on other projects to create infrastructure for testing, as well as accumulate data for our personas, adding some ethnographic questions to our short remote usability tests. We conducted contextual inquiries as part of another study, including 3 different quantitative studies to get larger sample sizes on views and opinions.
Once we completed the research, mapped out the results, which included user stories, bubble charts of goals and desires and demographics of 8 segments. We mapped out the flows of the different devices to look at how each persona would approach the flow and their particular needs.
The solution came with updates to the cart/checkout templates, as well as the movie detail page. We gave a special spot on the page for applicable offers, as well as indicated any discounts and the amount of money saved.
We also limited the CTA options to “Buy” or “Rent.’ We added a “mini-cart” to keep tally of all costs and discounts, as well as gift card credits.
Finally, we created a modified movie page template which included a way to use the same structure for all pages, only updating key info.
Combined with the improvements to sign up, the first phase of this endeavor improved conversion by 49%.